Saturday, November 19, 2005

The Lounge Singer

The lounge singer performed a cover of "Honkey Tonk Women" by the Rolling Stones.

Closing my eyes I could almost imagine that it was the Stones themselves who were performing that song I was hearing.

Well, the Rolling Stones if Mick Jagger said before the song, "Fuck it, you wankers are such a shitty audience that I'm going to get Keith to sing this one," and then Keith Richards steps up to the mic and you realize that he's in the middle of a heroin binge and he has a syringe sticking out of his bottom lip.

So all you really hear is Keith's syringe tapping against the mic everytime he hits the chorus, which really isn't hitting the chorus at all since he can't even seem to muster the senses needed to belt out the first word of the first verse. You just guess that the syringe is tapping against the mic during the chorus because that's what part of the song that the band seems to be playing except the band is comprised, inexplicably, of rhesus monkeys used previously for clinical tests of psychotropic drugs.

But yeah, I could kind of hear the Rolling Stones when I closed my eyes.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Being a little hard on the "lounge singers" as of late heh?

Michael said...

They've been hard on my ears for years now and it's time for a little payback.

Anonymous said...

Hey, if you dig lounge singers may I recommend Richard Cheese to you?

www.iloverichardcheese.com

A lounge singer like no other with album titles like "Lounge Against the Machine" "Tuxicity" and his newest release "Aperitif for Destruction"

If you have not heard of him you really must check him out. His version of "Down With the Sickness" was featured in the remake of Dawn of the Dead so you may have allready heard him unknowingly.

Michael said...

Actually, I've made myself somewhat with the work of Richard Cheese in that I've heard some of it through streaming webcasts. I'm really giving some thought to picking up an album or two. It sounds like it could be the best thing since the Mike Flowers Pops.