Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Pearl Jam

Last night Jeff, Cory, Steve, and I attended the Pearl Jam concert at Rexall Place here in Edmonton. It was one of the best shows that I have ever been to. Not the best, but definitely up there with the greats (and I've been to a lot of shows over the years).

Pearl Jam played many of the hits from their catalogue, which is really extensive when you think about it. The setlist went as follows:

1.) Release
2.) Go
3.) Save You
4.) Spin The Black Circle
5.) Nothing As It Seems
6.) Daughter
7.) Evenflow
8.) Betterman
9.) I Am Mine
10.) Grievance
11.) Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
12.) Sad
13.) Corduroy
14.) Given To Fly
15.) Wishlist
16.) Animal
17.) Do The Evolution
--Encore 1--
18.) Love Boat Captain
19.) Crazy Mary
20.) Jeremy
21.) Porch
--Encore 2--
22.) Fucking Up
23.) Yellow Ledbetter

The highlight for me was definitely opening with "Release." Eddie Vedder's voice was very powerful during that song. And to open with it? Well, I just knew then it was going to be an amazing show. The crowd sung along with favorites "Daughter" and "Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town."

One thing that I really have to commend the band on, though, is their practice of making bootlegs of their own shows available to their fans. Right after the show in Edmonton was done one could log on to www.pearljam.com and download the concert in mp3 format along with a collection of photos, which I found most beneficial since my seats were far away from the action on stage. The beauty of it is that it only cost me 10 bucks to get the download, which is a fair price for such a good quality bootleg.

Well, it's been a very special day for me I think and I'm getting tuckered out now. My ears are ringing and I've been to a spectacular rock show. In two weeks it'll be me raving about seeing System of a Down and The Mars Volta. The autumn of great concerts in Edmonton is now upon us. Hail, hail!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was a good concert indeed. I downloaded the bootleg too; what an awesome idea.

Anonymous said...

I was wondering what kind of person remembers every single song played at a concert. Till you mentioned the bootleg deal. Thats Ok I guess.
Well good for E-Town to be having some great concerts. You know give the masses something to do and take their minds off the barley competent oilers ;)

Michael said...

I think I know who you are now Anonymous! Ah-ha. Your hatred of my beloved Edmonton Oilers gives your identity away. And I bet that you are into those Calgary Flames, too! Boo-urns to that! Boo-urns!

Anonymous said...

Michael hatred for the oilers only means I breathe and walk and exist as a human being. The flames had a good run but can go back to sucking my ass now.
Smithers is michael booing me?
No sir he is just saying boo-urns boo-urns.
Ah yes.