Wednesday, May 09, 2007

The Latest Michael Appleby News

Last night marked the final game of the 2006-2007 FBA (Farmers Basketball Association) season. It was a good game to end the season on. Now that it's done, though, I'm going to miss playing Tuesday night hoops with all the guys in the league. I call it a league, but really there's only a handful of us and we play a pick-up game each and every week. Oh well, no FBA until October most likely.

Tomorrow will mark the first time I will ever host a Raving Poets show. Mike Gravel has a prior engagement and can't make it out for his regular hosting duties so I've been asked to step in. Just between you and me, I'm very nervous. I've seen the hosting of the show done so many time before, but I'm actually a bit intimidated by having to ad lib so much in one evening and try to remember to say all the things that are supposed to be said in addition to just introducing all the poets as they come up to the mic for their turns. We shall see how it goes.

Once again, if you're interested in seeing the show, it's happening at the Kasbar Lounge in the basement of Yianni's Taverna (10444 - 82 Avenue, Edmonton, AB). The doors open at 7:00 p.m. and we should kick the show off some time before 8:00 p.m. with a bit of luck.

Also, it seems that I've been featured in the latest edition of the Raving Poets Live At The Kasbar podcast, episode 21. The episode features a recording of my poem "Spectator Sport" or, as some of you know the poem, the blow job poem. If you are look for a good podcast to check out or you want to hear me read my poem in front of an appreciative audience do head over to the podcast website located here and I will also put a link to it on the right hand side of this page for your convenience because every update of that podcast is entertaining as hell. Even if you aren't into the whole podcasting deal because you don't have an iPod or iTunes you can still go to the website and check out all the episodes of the podcast so far in the form of streaming audio. It's available to just about everybody that wants it so there's no excuse for not spending some time enlightening yourself with some contemporary poetry.

I'll post again soon. Until then. Keep it real.

No comments: