Tuesday, September 12, 2006

The Latest Calgary Trip

So on Sunday I gave my latest poetry reading in Calgary as part of the Calgary Stroll of Poets festival. I got a chance to read at Second Cup in Kensington and the place was packed. I am a bit ashamed to admit, though, that when I saw the type of audience that was in attendance I opted out of reading poems like "Vitriol," "Roll Call," and "Gnawing My Way To Freedom." There were a lot of small children and the last thing I wanted to do was to send families away with kids asking, "Mom, what's 'double-bagging' mean?"

The three poems I did pull out, then, were "Humidor," "Sorry States," and "Knot Garden."

The response I got was very positive and, like in past years, I even got to sign a book or two. Calgary always treats me well.

I think I might have to make an effort to read again down there in the not-too-distant future.

No comments: