Friday, April 28, 2006

Thank You

4 days until 10,000 Days.

This is just a brief post before I go to bed. I just wanted to quickly write a note to all the people who have given me their support during the latest reading series put on by the Raving Poets, "Rock The Kasbar." The series finale was last night and it was one of those rare instances in which a cash prize of $300.00, known as the Golden Fez Award, was up for grabs to the best poet of the night according to a panel of celebrity judges.

In the weeks leading up to the finale the top two poets of each reading, as voted by the audience members, were given guaranteed spots in the final show with a choice of where on the reading order they wanted to appear. I secured my spot on the first night of audience voting. The other poets who secured spots were J.D. Lavender, Phil Jagger, Aaron Evringham, Jadon Rempel, and Michelle Rempel. I got third pick of where I would read in the order and, seeing that the last spot, a spot that has been notoriously lucky for me through the years, was open, I took up my favorite spot. It was actually very intense for me to sit through the rest of the reading order because every poet was bringing out these amazing poems. In my mind I was pretty sure there was no way that I could possibly win and in my mind I still can't figure out how I did it, but I did it.

So, thank you to everybody who showed their support of my work. It has meant a lot and always will. To the other poets who were part of that show, it really could have been any one of us receiving that generous cash prize at the end of the night. Like I said, I was pretty sure that I was beat even before I got up there behind the mic.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. I love you all.

As for the poem itself. I have to do some brushing up on it and my plans are to put it up on my little corner of the Raving Poets website. The title of the poem was "King Handlebars" and it was about a man and his moustache and so much more (or at least that's what I was trying to do with it).

I'll resume my normal posting schedule. Thank you once again.

No comments: